Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Manic Monday: Disappointment in Pepper Potts

"Baby, you're in a relationship with me. 
Nothing is ever going to be alright."
-Tony Stark, Iron Man 3

 
On Thursday I spent the day in an AMC theater rewatching the first two Iron Man films, The Avengers, and then Iron Man 3 for the first time. 

One of the things I was looking forward to in seeing this movie was Pepper Potts becoming a BA. She was in a way in the previous films, but I was looking forward to her kicking some ass. But she didn't. She was a victim, and a damsel in distress. Honestly, she was kind of mean to Tony who was clearly having trouble dealing with ALMOST DYING. AGAIN. 

But Pepper has only ever gotten her "powers" from men. Even just being CEO of the company was something that Tony almost nonchalantly gave her. The extremis virus and the Iron Man suit were the same. She was given something (by men) that could make her powerful and she struggled with it. She doesn't know how to use to her new powers and then feels guilty about using them. She's no Black Widow. And the Marvel films need more women like Black Widow. 

Overall, I loved the movie. I really enjoyed it despite mixed reviews I've heard. I never read the comics so I didn't have much to go off of in comparison. I would give the film a 3. The Avengers was the best, and I have no idea how anyone will beat it. 

Last question to the writers of Iron Man 3, WHY DESTROY ALL THE SUITS?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! Also, I was annoyed that half the storyline was Tony being worried about Pepper, which could easily be solved by giving her a suit.

    ReplyDelete