Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Feminist Friday: Emotionless Elena Gilbert

You used to not be weak!
Am I the only person who liked soulless, emotionless Elena Gilbert?

Normally, I kind of hate Elena. I think she's gorgeous and I sort of get why the characters all love her but I find her annoying. She's always crying and causing herself more problems. The girl has a lot of problems, and her life is a little shitty. I think that's why I had a lot of respect for the intense Elena that finally gave into her emotions.

I never fully saw her as emotionless, I just saw her as finally stopping caring about all the people and things in her life that made her life worse. It doesn't make sense to me that everyone judged her for behaving that way. Her brother died. Her entire family died. She's a vampire. She never wanted to be a vampire.

Emotionless Elena was finally standing up for herself, and wasn't allowing her heart to tossed around by two asshole brothers. She was making decisions for herself and taking control of her life. That meant she was being a bitch, but after all the shit her friends put her through I think she deserved to be free of them.

I hated everyone saying, "We need to fix, Elena." She wasn't broken. She was depressed and empty from losing everyone in  her life that she could count on 100% of the time. Only Jeremy, her aunt, and I'm assuming her parents were ever consistent with her. The rest of her love interests, and her best friends have hurt her and betrayed her multiple times.

I love the Vampire Diaries as a guilty pleasure show, but Elena reverting back to her old self might make me stop watching. What do other people think? Evil emotionless Elena too much for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment