Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Two Weeks in Ireland

"If you're not drunk and half naked by this point, 
you aren't paying attention." 
- Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

 Over the summer, my family went to Ireland. My father is 100% and my mom is mostly Irish with a little bit of Italian. I like to pretend I'm 100% like my dad.

 
The photo above is a view of Dublin from the Guinness factory tasting room.

 Ireland was beautiful. The weather was what I expected. There was mostly rain but also a lot of sunshine. We drove for hours at a time so when I got sick of seeing sheep and rolling green hills, (and over a period of two weeks, the sheep were boring) I read a lot. I read Let it Snow which is three connected short stories by different authors, and I read Chuck Palahniuk's novel Diary.

So much drinking. Guinness was amazing at the factory.

Story #1: The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson, a review as quoted from my journal: 
"It was cute but no John Green story (who is next). My feminist side of my brain hated it. It was a girl with a crappy perfect boyfriend who feels confident when his around just because they are dating. She meets a boy, who helps her realize how awful his perfect ass is so she dumps him and makes out with the boy. I would have liked it better if she left his house, moved on from the shitty BF but did't fall for the new boy but that's just me."
    
Story #2: John Green's A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle, a review as quoted from my journal: 
"Before I say anything else, I want to say how I loved that these three stories connect in little ways. It is cute. So far the two were different stories but they intertwined in a slight way. Over a location- a waffle house with cheerleaders. 
John Green was better about feminism than the other story though mostly due to it being a male narrator. We didn't get the girl fawning over a boy inner monologue. I think when I write my young adult novels/stories I'm going to not be in 1st person to avoid this issue.
But I predicted the underlying conflict of the romance too quickly and easily. It was disappointing in that respect."    
 
 Story #3: The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle, as reviewed in my journal:
" It was the same as the others. Cute but not feminist at all.. A girl upset over a boy. It would have been less predictable if it wasn't connected to the other stories but I basically knew the ending from the first two short stories. Oh, well." 
So I think in July 2012, I would have given Let it Snow a 2
 
 
Harry Potter was filmed here!

Review of Diary by Chuck Palahniuk as quoted from my journal: 
"Just finished Diary and it was weird. Creepy even, and confusing. Those are its 3 words: weird, creepy, and confusing. I think I enjoyed it. It didn't blow my mind like Rant, Haunted, or Fight Club did. But it has a similar feeling. A feeling that creeps over and makes everything you used to find normal seem wrong. I guess that is what makes a good book. It changes how you look at life even when the book's story wasn't about that.
I think I would have given Diary a 3. 

I loved Ireland, and I wish I could go back. But maybe with less family.  

1 comment:

  1. I was born 20km from the Cliffs of Mohr. Miss my country. Glad you enjoyed it!


    “To be Irish is to know that in the end the world will break your heart.”

    ReplyDelete