Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Theory Talk Tuesday: Walter White or Heisenberg? A Review of Breaking Bad's Ozymandias

SPOILERS



If you don’t watch Breaking Bad, you are probably sick of the fans screaming about it. But if you had seen the latest episode, you would understand our pain, suffering, and our joy in watching this show. And you’ll understand why I needed a couple days to write about it. 

When Walt tells Jesse the truth about Jane, my boyfriend shouted “No!” and punched a wall. This was within the first ten minutes of the show. We had to take break so he could take a shot, and we really don’t drink often. My moment of shouting out?  Holly. When Walt picked up Holly I was almost in tears, I was shouting “No!”  Walt kidnapped his own daughter right in front of the eyes of his already heartbroken and devastated wife. 
And you thought you hated Walt before...




Walt’s call to Skyler almost made me sick with anger. After everything he has done to that woman, taking her daughter away may have been the worst. Holly is a helpless child, unaware of what is happening to her family. But then the Daily Breaking Bad Tumblr posted this:

So my question is: Was the man making that phone call Walter White or Heisenberg? My theory/answer to that question is that it is Walter White. He knows that Skyler has only stayed with him out of obligation and fear, and he is finally allowing her to leave him. He had to have known that she wasn’t alone, so all the terrible things he said were recorded, heard by many. Walt had to realize that Skyler would say anything to make sure that Holly was safe, even if that means forgiving Walt for killing Hank (she doesn’t know the real story yet). This was Walter White, allowing his wife to move on and hate him forever. 

Now for theories: We have two episodes left, what else could happen? With this show, so much can and will happen. 

I think Todd is going to bring Lydia to his meth dungeon and say, “Look, this is why I have improved. I have a captive making my meth for me. Now kiss me.” Lydia will be horrified and run away from him and the Nazis. Or she’ll slap Todd, and he’ll kill her…

The ricin will be for the main Nazi asshole/Mac’s dad from It’s Always Sunny. He smokes a lot. Please let Walt kill him. 

I’m not sure how I think things will end for Walt. I want him to die because I think he is a horrible person, but I want him to have succeeded in his original intent: To leave money behind for his wife and children. Is that still possible though? 

This episode deserves all the awards, Emmy’s, and 5 out of 5. Leave thoughts and theories in the comments!



2 comments:

  1. point of phone call was to clear her. that was gratitude on her face as she realized what he was doing, since she knows that she was, in fact, up to her neck in his business by the end. all the insults were for the police. he was playing for her gratitude and respect. he is always trying to be respected. that might just get White-deprecating Schwartz killed.

    all imao.

    p.s. funny that I found your post by googling "Todd is a soulless ginger Breaking Bad" because his cold-blooded killing screams out "kid without a soul."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that's how you found this blog; Todd is the worst of the soulless gingers.

      After much thought (and reading other reviews of the episode), I came to the realization that it was Walter White on the phone. I think my anger toward him in Ozymandias made me unable to see that he was doing something out of love.

      Delete