Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Day I Unintentionally Became Peggy Olson

You've all dreamt of it, but it happened to me: 
I lived a day that was like an episode of Mad Men. 
But it was less fun because I played early episodes Peggy, not how she is now. 


Well this story begins with how I originally missed a job interview because I was vomiting all night due to a stomach virus. I rescheduled because thankfully, a trip to the ER is a good enough excuse.

So Tuesday (now a week ago), I woke up and got my current job's duties out of the way. I got dressed in the outfit that I had not one, but THREE people approve of. My best friend Nikki, though, told me I really needed a blazer in order to look the most professional.

I drove 45 minutes to meet up with the recruiter. His name is, wait for it, Draper. David Draper. Yeah, when I first met him I had the hardest time not making a Mad Men reference. But I kept it in, because I bet he hates the amount people mention it to him.

I arrived in the city early and stopped to pee in a Panda Express. Then I regretted it, what if I smelt like soy sauce!?

Well, Draper's secretary had me fill out an application. But there was also a blond, sitting and filling out an application. It discouraged me, but I carried on. But, then yet another woman came in and asking for Mr. Draper. Then, a few minutes later yet another girl came in and began filling out her application. Then one by one, the girls and I were called into the same room to fill out a personality test. No joke. Apparently this is normal. Then Draper came, and we had to take a math and vocabulary test. It reminded me of the high school exit exam. "If Sally had 348 marbles, but Bobby takes 129, how many does Sally have left?" Why are we even thinking about this for a consultant position? Did I not realize this was the CIA?

After the test, we were once again taken one by one to the front lobby. Then one by one for the actual interview, and of course, I was last. The interview went well from what I could tell, and he invited me back to meet the head of training. But then he Joan'd me:

"Now, I'm going to give you advice I give every college graduate. So don't take this the wrong way...but...you need to dress better."

Basically, my best friend was right. I need a damn blazer. Overall, I was there for over 2 hours and my random mix CD played SNL's Natalie Portman Rap when I got back in the car. So I'll take that as a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment