Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wet Wednesday: Why I Plan to Show My Future Babies The To Do List


A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.


The moment I heard about The To Do List I had plans to go see it. Aubrey Plaza’s humor is enough to make me watch any movie or TV show, but add to that the fact that it is about her completing a sex to-do list? There aren’t even words.

After I saw the film, I realized that showing this film to a teenager would be the perfect way to avoid the awkward sex conversation that all parents fail at. I learned about sex three ways: playing Barbies, playing the Sims, and the menstrual cycle talk my elementary school gave to 4th grade girls. I don’t think my parents even talked to me about sex. My mom sort of did when I started taking birth control. But it was nothing like Aubrey Plaza’s character had with her mom. 

I would like to be that open with my children, but I don’t see myself ever being comfortable enough to hand my daughter a bottle of lube or my son a pack of condoms. Something I’ve felt I would say is, “If you aren’t comfortable going into a store to buy lube, condoms, or the morning after pill yourself; you aren’t ready to have sex.” But truthfully the reason teenagers are uncomfortable buying these products, or even asking their doctor about birth control is that we are taught not to talk sex. Sex is for married couples or just adults in general. But every adult did it before they were adults, so what’s the big deal? 

The To Do List is sex positive. It shows boys being as emotional about sex and relationships as much as girls are said to be, and it shows girls being just as nonchalant about sex and relationships as boys are supposed to be. It’s honest about expectations and questions about what sex is like when you are still learning about it. It’s okay that you didn’t have great sex the first time. And I love that it ends with her having an orgasm with a boy she actually likes, not the creepy “perfect” guy. 

Watching this movie with my son or daughter will be awkward for them, but I think they’ll thank for me it. It’s hilarious and it will show them how I feel about sex and how to talk about it without me having to go into the horrifying details that remind them I have sex with their father. 

I give The To Do List a perfect 5 out of 5. Leave comments and thoughts about my rating and the film itself in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment